History - Bradshaw Children’s Nursery - Saltcoats
The building in Bradshaw Street was originally built as the Free Church Academy which opened in 1858 and closed as a school in 1882 when the pupils and staff were transferred to Ardrossan Academy and the head teacher became the head teacher at Ardrossan Academy.
The building was then used from 1882 as the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Free Church but we understand it lay empty for a number of years before it was converted into a privately-owned nursery around 1998.
Bradshaw Early Years Centre took over the company and building in 2004 and since then has substantially upgraded the premises.
The work done has included a new roof; modern insulation; new heating; new flooring; an improved back door area; and a new internal layout creating four large secure rooms on the ground floor with an extensive storage area in a new first floor.
To meet current standards a disabled toilet, a covered porch, access ramps, buggy stores and a fire escape have also been installed.
Since 2004 there have been a number of staff changes and the staff currently operating the nursery are extremely good which has meant the nursery now has been graded by the Care Inspectorate as very good for every grade.